Monday, May 6, 2013

A Tale of Two Jackets

On Saturday I was touched by Clinton Kelly, it was only a handshake, but nevertheless, I've been touched by a fashion God.  AND, he complimented me on my jacket (Talbots Tweed Jacket - currently available on sale).  I may wear it at least once a week going forward, right after I have it tailored.  All of this took place at a Clinton Kelly Style Event on Saturday at Macy's Towson (Md.).  He's hilarious, snarky but not mean, as cute in person as he is on TV, hyper-energy, and down to earth.

He pulls no punches when it comes to identifying and critiquing fashion faux pas.  One brave soul--a very busty mom who had had twins, her first children, at age 40-- volunteered to be his subject for a style critique.  She was wearing a horizontally striped tee, elastic pants and crocs!  His first words to her, "Get a professional bra fitting."  It's a sore point with him that far too many women aren't wearing a correctly fitted bra.  Don't know if you've heard this before, I had not, your breasts should rest half way between your elbow and your shoulder.  So if you've got girls, go to the mirror and check yourself out.  I'm not sure where to find a professional bra fitter, which is who Clinton wants you to see, but I'm going to try to hunt one down.  I think I'm okay, but just want to check it out. 

Now about the jackets...if you follow Clinton on What Not to Wear or have read any of his books (I got 'Oh No She Didn't on Saturday and was able to get it signed), you know he thinks a jacket just completes an outfit whether it be casual or dressy.  He also expounds the need for tailoring.  He did a bit during the Q&A on fashion designers and fit models and why we need tailoring.  So right along with my hunt for a bra fitters, I'm going to search for a better tailor.  That is, better than the lady who does alterations at the cleaners who isn't really a tailor.

It's been cool enough to need a sweater or jacket over the last few days, low 60's weather with a breeze.  The jacket on the left was one modeled during the Style Event.  It's a great knit and was under $40.  It will be perfect for travel.  The denim jacket, which is actually what I wearing out and about yesterday, is from Old Navy and was around $35. 

Which look do you like best?

Outfit details: Right:  Macy's - Alfani Collarless Jacket; ;Banana Republic -Striped Elbow-Sleeve Tee; Polka dot scarf - Old; Jeans - Talbots - Old; Shoes - Tory Burch
Left: Old Navy - White Denim Jacket

3 comments:

  1. OMG Sandy... Clinton and Kelly are my "idols". I would love to have been there!!!
    I love the dot/stripe mix, and you look so adorable! I think I like the white denim jacket better, but both are darling. The contrasting buttons and pocket detail are adding interest. I also prefer short jackets unless their purpose is for 'camouflage' (Something I learned from Clinton :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, I think I had a pretty average sense of style until I was introduced to WNTW. Both Stacy and Clinton have helped me and I'm sure thousands of women to better understand how clothing can help us to be our best selves and to better project that. I've found them both to be just lovely folks. I'd be there BFF in a NY minute. ;-)

      Delete
  2. Enjoyed this post. I have two white denim jackets, but was very drawn to the little white sweater jacket...so cute! Found it on sale at my Macy's today and had to buy it. My only concern is the care tag...dry clean! But it didn't stop me.

    I'm enjoying your blog, Sandy!

    Laurel Hill (not sure why Google shows me as Unknown after I have logged in...)

    ReplyDelete